Sometimes people say the strangest things, and it is not until afterwards that you think of a good response. This post will equip you to respond to one of those sayings.
The “Concerned” Put-Down
I like to think of this little dandy as being offered by an individual who really is trying to show a form of concern, but in the process pokes you in the eye. You normally don’t catch this until too late, but now you will be prepared.
- What it looks like: “You look REALLY tired today, are you doing ok?”
- “The bags under your eyes are so distracting I can hardly carry on a conversation with you.”
- “You must be in over your head judging how AWEFUL you look today.”
- Appropriate* Response
- “No, I naturally have saggy eyes.”
- “Crazy! I was about to say the same thing to you.”
- “I was up all night praying for your soul. What were you doing last night with your precious hours?”
- “Yes, actually, I am. I really need help cleaning my house/finishing a paper/doing laundry/washing our dog/sorting my bug collection alphabetically by latin species name. And since you are volunteering to help, you can come over tonight at 7 pm. Bring protective eyewear.
- Alternative – Why don’t we stop making the “concerned” put-down and just ask how people are doing.
*”Appropriate” is based on the “Seth Standard of Sarcasm”
Let me know – What do you say?