I would suggest that there are certain components which must be part of any assembly which would call itself a biblical “church.” Without these you cannot have a church:
- Gospel believing individuals
- Baptized in demonstration of their conversion
- Recognizably covenanting together
- Regularly meeting around God’s Word
- Under legitimate leadership
- Administering Baptism and the Lord’s Table
Let’s take a look at the fifth essential component of a NT local church: Under legitimate leadership
A brief outline of NT references will have to suffice for our short summary here:
A. Led by elders
- Terms (Titus 1:5-7 and 1 Peter 5:1-2). There are three overlapping terms used for this man: Elder, Pastor, Overseer
- Responsibilities (Eph 4:11-16; 2 Tim 4:1-5).
- Requirements (1 Tim 3:1-7).
B. Served by deacons
- Responsibilities (Acts 6:1-7).
- Requirements (1 Tim 3:8-13).